We call it combined or mixed skin type when the T zone of the face (forehead, nose, chin) belongs to a basic skin type and the cheeks are completely different skin types.
Mixed skin types can occur in several combinations, for example:
- Group: T zone normal + cheeks dry, reddish (suggestion: Anti-aging serum, Timeless Venus cream)
- Group: T zone with acne + cheeks normal (suggestion Hibiscus tonic, Multivitamin cream)
- Group: T zone oily, seborrheic + cheeks sensitive, prone to irritation (suggestion: Herbal Serum, Multivitamin Cream)
- Group: Zone T normal + cheeks sensitive, irritated, dry
In this article we are covering the treatment of the latter, normal + sensitive, irritated mixed skin, giving you tips on skin care at home.
If you have irritated skin, it is dry, burning, sometimes itchy, and in many cases does not tolerate any heavy oils.
Sometimes it appears to be milder, sometimes more severe. Typically, the surface of your skin easily becomes red and/or warm, and these sympthoms tend to disappear rather slowly. It may be dry, feels strained and becomes sore. Causes include malfunction of the digestive system, food intolerance, circulatory disorders, improper skin care routine, use of petroleum-based cosmetics, allergies, etc. (If the redness, or irritation, is due only to some mechanical effect, such as scrubbing, windy weather, but disappears after a few minutes and the skin becomes fresh, supple and firm, you most likely belong to Group 1)
Skin that is inclined to irritation has a damaged emulsion on the skin surface, specifically sebum production is low, so the skin’s protective layer does not contain enough fat, ceramide, and the proportion of natural moisturizers is unbalanced. This gives you the feeling of stained, warm and dry skin.
In case skin irritation is an allergic reaction, make sure you pay close attention to it and choose cosmetics with this in mind. If your allergy to chamomile is known, chances are that St. John’s wort and marigold may also develop similar symptoms. The same is true for essential oils; as well as the linalool in lavender oil, in this case you need to look more carefully at the list of ingredients in beauty products. If you are not sure whether the product contains a component that has an allergic skin response, consult the manufacturer or the distributor.
The problems caused by the digestive system and circulatory disorders should not be overlooked either. Observe which foods cause excessive redness and which do not. Healthy meals and, if necessary, a good diet will not only improve your well-being, but will also make your skin beautiful and fresh. If you are already aware of any digestive system problems, you are already halfway to final success, be patient and follow your doctor’s recommended practices.
There are several aspects to consider when treating irritated skin and choosing cosmetics.
- use cocoa butter, shea butter, and greasy creams rich in these ingredients
- scrub – the skin responds to the mechanical peeling with a burning sensation
- use any soap (including home-made), instead replace them with gentle cleansers, to completely remove the little fat that remains on your skin
- Use gentle cleansing milk to remove makeup on a daily basis
- Use Tonicwater with lavender or hamamelis content
- Apply anti-inflammatory, soothing serum that can help reduce skin redness
- Rebuild the hydro-lipid layer with a light moisturizing skin protection cream
Avoid these ingredients:
- fats and oils (shea butter, cocoa butter)
- extracts of plants known to cause allergic reactions (e.g. chamomile)
- fruit acids (AHA acid)
- mechanical scrubber (granular)
- petroleum derivatives (paraffin, mineral oil, microcrystallina, vaseline)
- silicone (dimethicone, silicone, etc.)
- perfumed products
Look for these ingredients:
- light creams rich in linolenic acid (wild rose oil, sea buckthorn oil, seklice oil, etc.)
- antioxidants (flavonoids, polyphenols, carotenoids)
- vitamins (C, E, Q10, beta-carotene, B5,)
- Licorice Extract
- Oat oil and oat extract
- allantoin, bisabolol
- Hydrates, lavender/hamamelis/balsam water
Herbsgarden products generally contain high levels of natural antioxidants, vitamins, vegetable oils, and flower water, so feel free to pick any one of them. For this skin type, we recommend the Day cream for younger age, the Jasmine cream for removing wrinkles and the Timeless Beauty cream for mature skin. You can enhance the moisturizing effect of the creams with Hialuron Serum. We recommend to use two equipements to treat sensitive skin at home: hydroabrasion or ultrasound machine from among our products.
The purpose of a good cosmetic product is twofold, to strengthen the barrier layer protecting the skin, and to introduce a balanced ratio of antioxidants, lipids, vitamins and amino acids into the upper layers of the skin. In addition to this, skin prone to irritation, the primary goal is to soothe, moisturize, rebuild the skin’s protective layer, and strengthen the vessel walls. If you do, your skin will return to normal functioning and even with a little care, you will have fresh skin that is more resistant to irritation.
Author: Both Tímea. Published: Bio&Life magazine
You might be interested in these articles too:
- What is Micella and why is it good (or not good) for the skin?
- The effect of the magic hyaluron in skin care
- Aluminum-Free Deodorants – Are They Really Better?
- Antioxidants in Skin Care – Tiny Guards for Health
Latest news, skin care tips and a first-time purchase coupon of 1,000 HUF value – Sign up for our newsletter!
Let us know if you need help!
Need more advice to make the best choice? Do you have any questions about using serum?
Do not hesitate to contact our customer service or beautician.